Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Catch Up Time...

It's that time again... I am catching up on reviews from all over the place.


 ARC Review Copies


RoomiesRoomies by Christina Lauren

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

This was definitely a fun and unexpected read. Holland has been drifting through life for the last 2 years and had a crush on Calvin from afar for the last 6 months.
Several unexpected events come together and lead to them progressing from a brief meeting to a marriage of convenience within a span of weeks and that’s when the story take on a life of its own.
I liked both Calvin and Holland. I found them both to be entertaining and interesting characters. I especially appreciated how their time together spurred on Holland’s much needed period of self discovery. I think she came out of the experience a much stronger person than when she went in.
The strong supporting cast helped shape this well written book. If I didn’t know that a duo was behind the Ms. Lauren pen name, I never would have guessed. The partnership is seamless and I would love to see what the future holds for Calvin and Lauren.

Amazon


Lilac Lane (Chesapeake Shores #14)Lilac Lane by Sherryl Woods

My rating: 2 of 5 stars - Below Average Read

Review copy provided by publisher via Net Galley

This is a case of I REALLY wanted to like a book, but just could not connect with it. I actually came very close to marking this book as DNF and moving on, but I hate doing that, so I plugged away.
Please don't take it to mean this is a bad book, it's not, it really is just a matter of me not connecting with the characters or the story. This is just a case of this not being the right book for me.

Free Reads


Desperate for a Duke (Desperate and Daring, #1)Desperate for a Duke by Ella J. Quince

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Take away the slightly corny title and you have a really fun and engaging book!
Heather and Fallon are a true love match in a time when that doesn’t happen for the noble class very often. Add in a destitute family, a case of mistaken identity, and a dose of intrigue and you have the makings for a good story.
I definitely enjoyed both characters and the supporting cast. This was a quick read and a little on the spicier side for a historical, but not over the top.
There was a slight bit of set up for book two in the series between supporting cast members and I am curious to see what happens next. I hope we will at least get glimpses of Heather and Fallon.

Amazon (currently Free)


Forever a Soldier (Always a Cowboy, Book One)Forever a Soldier by Genevieve Turner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

I enjoyed Hank, Lale, and their story. It was a bit of a take of Beauty and the Beast - with Hank and his anxiety attacks playing the part of Beast.
The main thing that kept this from being a higher rated read was the zero to 100 mph on the physical relationship- the first truly intimate encounter these two had kind of came out of left field for me.
My other issue was the conclusion - it was a “wham, bam, thank you ma’am” here is everything is a pretty bow type that seemed as if the author suddenly realized she only had a certain number of pages left to wrap everything up.
Overall, an okay free read. I was entertained, but I don’t know if I want to read more of the series.

 View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment