Friday, March 12, 2021

Review Round Up ~ March 12



New Release:


The Devil in Her Bed (Devil You Know, #3)The Devil in Her Bed by Kerrigan Byrne

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

We have met Alexander and Cecil, now it's time to meet Frank - the third of the Red Rouges. All three of these women have baggage and battles to face on the way to true love, but Francesca's road may have the biggest pitfalls yet.

Ms Byrne does an excellent job of pulling us into Francesca's world both as a young girl experiencing live changing events and as a near 30 year old woman trying to right wrongs while operating in a society that limits just what women can do. Add in the mysterious Chandler and you have a character driven story that keeps you on your toes.

The story surrounding Francesca and Chandler is layered with intrique, potential revenge, fate, friendship, and maybe even love. I appreciated the way these two, along with the interesting secondary cast, played off each other.

The Devil in Her Bed is strongly connected to the previous books in the series, but can definitely be read as a stand alone. If you read the series out of order, there will be a few spoilers for the previous books, but nothing that would prevent full enjoyement of all the books. I would try to read in order if possible.

Amazon   



The Poet (Samantha Jazz, #1)The Poet by Lisa Renee Jones

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

The Poet is something different from this author and I wasn’t sure what to expect going in. It’s a book that kept my attention through out, but I’m not sure where the book falls on the “like it” scale.

This stand alone read focuses on Detective Samantha Jazz as she is processing personal issues and facing down a killer in a brand new case.

Told primarily from Samantha’s point of view, The Poet is heavy on procedural details and what I consider minutiae and misses some of the character and relationship development pieces I would have really liked to see. From what I saw of Detective Jazz, I liked her, but through the whole book, I felt as if something was missing and it made connecting with her a challenge.

This missing piece feeling was throughout the book in relation to things that had happened before the story starts and how certain characters were influenced by those events.

After finishing The Poet, this is a story that I think has a lot of potential, but I would have appreciated seeing it handled a bit differently.

Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment