Thursday, February 17, 2022

Review Round Up ~ February 17




New(er) Releases:


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Purchased

The Purveli is book 3 in Ms Duvall’s outer space adventures. The time line here is mostly parallel to that of book 2 and follows what happened to Gifted One Ava after the ship she was traveling on was attacked.

This is a story that continues the “alien” world building begun in previous books, slowly expanding the knowledge base so that the reader doesn’t feel overwhelmed. There is a solid balance between action and friendship/relationship building as the story moves fairly quickly. The characters are all easy to like and root for.

Technically, this is a stand alone read, but…… I personally think the reader would enjoy the series more if the books are read in order. At the very least, this should be read after the first book in the series. Some exposure to Ms Duvall’s Immortal Guardians series would also add to the enjoyment of this series as there are references to back story contained there. For some reason I thought this book would end this particular series, but it appears there is at least one more book and I am looking forward to that one as well!

Amazon

TBR Reads:   


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Purchased as a "Free" read

The world of the Harris family and the Bethel Green F C is one I have enjoyed in the past, so when this related story came up as a free read, I was glad to grab it.

Freya and Mac are friends, self described “best mates” until they get a wild hair and decide to mix things up a bit. I enjoyed watching these two flounder their way dating - even though neither would call it that. One of the more touching pieces of this story was the way that insecurity was tackled head on- even from the famous footballer!

This is part of a series and the secondary cast that is referenced is somewhat large, but the active secondary cast is smaller and more manageable. There are hints that make you curious, but it so many references that the larger series detracts from the story being told here.
Reading this definitely made me want to go back and read the Bethel books that I have missed!

Amazon   


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Purchased

Confession time.... This book has been on my TBR for a long time. I'm not sure why I haven't read it before now, but I'm glad I finally did.
One of the issues with going so far into an author's back list when you've been reading them is that I "knew" the final outcome of the main characters here going into the book as they appear as secondary characters in stories of Ms Harlow's that I have read. What I did not know is the journey they took to get there.
I enjoyed getting to know Mia and Lucas and seeing Paris through their eyes. This is told strictly from Mia's point of view and I would have loved to have been able to get into Lucas's head too. Mia's evolution and being pushed outside her comfort zone made me like her even more. I especially loved the friends who called her on her crazy, even from thousands of miles away.
Even with know the ultimate ending, I am curious to read Yanked and the companion books that go with Frenched. I am hoping Mia and Lucas also play key secondary roles in the upcoming release, Taste.
















*Buy links belong to E-Reading After Midnight and we may be compensated if you choose to make a purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment