Friday, August 3, 2018

July ARC Review Round Up

I'm catching up on end of the month ARC Review books.... 


Set the Night on Fire (Cottonbloom, #6)Set the Night on Fire by Laura Trentham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Netgalley

If you have been following the Cottonbloom books, you’ve enjoyed meeting the Abbott brothers in the last few books. After getting to know Mack, it was a pleasure to spend more time with him.
I really enjoyed the dynamic between and him and Ella. She is definitely a character worth getting to know and the enemies to friends to lovers relationship between them is a lot of fun.
This is well written and entertaining- as expected from Mrs Trentham and a strong addition to the Cottonbloom world. This is a stand-alone, but there is a lot of key back story in the prior two books in the series. There are a couple of sub plots that carry through the three books about the Abbot brothers that are well thought out as well.
The secondary cast rounds things out and helps make Mack and Ella’s story strong and more interesting. I am curious to see what will happen in town next.

Amazon


 Cooper's Charm (Love at the Resort, #1)Cooper's Charm by Lori Foster

3.25 Stars - Slightly better than average

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Netgalley

I found this first book in the series to be entertaining, but maybe not as strong as some of the other works that I have read by Ms Foster.
The community of Cooper’s Charm is unique and fun to get to know. I also enjoyed the Rose sisters and their love interests immensely.
Ms Foster typically does a fantastic job of blending intrigue into her romantic stories. This book made the effort and gets credit for a satisfying conclusion, but I didn’t quite feel the tension in getting to that point or even really understand the motivation for the final villian. It felt like there were several opportunities that were left unexplored that might have made for a stronger story.
I also struggle a little bit with the fact that we get romances for both sisters in one book. I felt like by combining them, both stories were a bit short changed. Both couples come to the table with enough baggage that it felt like short cuts were taken to resolve some of the issues. Baxter’s (the romantic lead for Ridley) conflict especially seemed to be a bit anticlimactic once it was explained. Not the issue itself, but his response to it.
In terms of writing quality, community development, etc this is what I would expect from a Lori Foster book. I was entertained and enjoyed myself, but had a few things that I wish were a little stronger. If you are a Foster fan, I think you will enjoy this book. I am intrigued to see where she goes with this series and the other community members of Cooper’s Charm.

Amazon



View all my reviews Save MeSave Me by Tia Louise

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a friend

This is a short action packed novella that focuses on Mace and Jessa.
There is a definite story before this one, but I didn't feel like I was missing out by not knowing what came before.
Ms. Louise writes a story where the emotion just ripples of the page. She really makes you feel as if you are with Mace and Jessa while they celebrate their love for each other, grieve, fear, fight, and struggle.
This definitely has me curious to read more about this couple!

Amazon


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment