Monday, August 13, 2018

New Release and Review Round Up

Good Luck with ThatGood Luck with That by Kristan Higgins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars - One of the Absolute Best

Review Copy Provided by Publisher Via Net Galley

I don’t care who you are, you need to read this book.
Georgia, Marley, and Emerson may be fictional characters, but they have a lot to teach us.
The focus here may be primarily weight and body image issues, but the over arching messages of acceptance and self love are important for everyone to hear.
Personally, I related most to Marley. I could see little bits of myself in her and cheered for her when she fully embraced her own value and started putting herself first.
I could also see myself a little bit in Georgia and was incredibly proud of the way she embraced her emotional evolution.
Ms Higgins took these two characters and the shake up of losing their friend to craft a powerful narrative about how to stop treading water and truly start living.
Incredibly well written,Good Luck With That is an emotional book  that made me cry a couple of times. Emerson’s journals showed a heartbreaking view of her life while Marley and Georgia dealt with their own issues.
Ms Higgins is an author whose work I pick up expecting to enjoy it. This fits the style I anticipate from her and takes it up a notch in terms of emotional impact.

Amazon



Down with Love (Laws of Attraction, #1)Down with Love by Kate Meader

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided By Publisher via Net Galley

3.5 Stars for a cute, fun “not quiet enemies” to lovers story.
I liked Max and Charlie and truly enjoyed getting to know the characters behind the facades they initially portrayed. It was fun to watch them butt heads and eventually figure out what they needed.
Well written and entertaining this is a good start to a new series from the reliable Ms Meader. The cast, both primary and secondary, is well rounded and funny. I am looking forward to seeing more of them in future books.
One thing that I was very impressed by was Ms Meader’s ability to world build and introduce us to future players without taking away from Max and Charlie. Definitely a fun read!

Amazon



Taming Him (Bishop Brothers, #1)Taming Him by Kennedy Fox

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Author

This is a book I struggled to rate. There are parts I really enjoyed and things that I found to be nails on a chalk board irritating. By the time I finished Taming Him, I decided that some of the irritating things fall under personal bias and preference, so I gave more weight to the things I liked.

The good:
The story itself.... good intro of the characters individually, great meet cute, entertaining interactions. I enjoyed the two pieces of the puzzle coming together and I appreciated the fact that the conflict of the story was more external than the characters creating drama for the sake of drama.

River and Alex.... I liked his emotional growth and his all in attitude. I appreciated that she was willing to reach out when the situation called for it.

The less good....
This is where personal bias and preference comes in....
I honestly didn’t like the characterization of the Bishop boys and the small town they live near. I felt like is was over the top and shoved every potential stereotype of what Texans are into one person/family. This seemed to be toned down as the story went on, so it moved from a story killer to annoying.

Overall, I enjoyed Taming Him and rooted for Alex and River to find their happy ending. I enjoyed meeting the other Bishop Brothers and am looking forward to their stories.

Amazon


Crazy Sexy LoveCrazy Sexy Love by Alison G. Bailey

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy won in a contest

This was a cute not-exactly- enemies to lovers read.
Doug and Sophie have been each other's orbit for years when fate/life put them in close proximity.
I liked both Sophie and Doug, along with their friends, and enjoyed seeing their interactions. Not only are they interesting on their own, they are really fun together.
This was my first read by Ms. Bailey, so I went in with very few expectations and was pleased with what I found. The only thing that kept this from being a full 4 star read was that the ending seemed rushed.
I definitely enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more by Ms. Bailey.

Amazon



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment