Thursday, December 13, 2018

New Release Review Catch Up

Life has been crazy since Thanksgiving....
I am finally starting to get caught up and have new release reviews for you!


Bad ReputationBad Reputation by S.L. Scott

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Copy Purchased

After reading Everest, I really wanted more from this “world” created by S.L Scott. She delivered with Bad Reputation!
Hutton (one of the Everest brothers) and Ally are an interesting couple from the beginning. There is instant attraction, long distance, ambiguity about relationship status and more all before 1/3 of the way through the book!
I liked Hutton from the get go, but it took me longer to feel like I knew Ally and what was going on with her. Some of that is intentional by Ms Scott and you’ll find out why when you read the book 😉
As I got to know Ally, I liked her just as much as Hutton and found myself rooting for her and them to find their happy.
One of my favorite things about this book is that the true conflict came from outside of Hutton and Ally’s relationship. Dealing with this adversity seemed to be a key to their growth, especially for Ally. I also appreciated that there was a bit of a role reversal, but that it was done in such a way that Hutton remained his Alpha/macho self.
The supporting cast here is small, but all of the players are important. I am hoping to see a 3rd Everest brother book soon, but would love to know what happens with Ally’s siblings as well. If you have read other works by Ms Scott recently, you will recognize a few cameo players that pop in as well.
Overall, this is definitely a book to grab!

Amazon


 My Favorite Half-Night StandMy Favorite Half-Night Stand by Christina Lauren

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

Don't let the title of this one fool you! This is an excellent friends to lovers story with a good dose of comedy and a little "how did they think that was a good idea?" Our story focuses on Millie and Reid with heavy support from their group of friends.
Millie and Reid are characters that I liked. They are a little quirky, a little flawed, and a perfect for each other even if they don't realize it. I appreciated that their relationship started in a deep friendship and the changes were like flickering light bulbs for both of them. The pitfalls of navigating a change from friends to more while also existing within a larger group was very present and felt very real.
While this is a couple story and told in dual POV, I felt like more of the focus was on Millie and how her changing relationship with Reid (and the related hi-jinks) were a catalyst for her emotional evolution. It was refreshing to see the male lead be the naturally more emotive character and have the female lead struggle with this facet of her personality and the need to "be a grown up."
My Favorite Half-Night Stand was a fun and entertaining take on dating in your 30's, dating within a group of friends, and learning to be the best version of yourself. The very active secondary cast has me curious and I would love to see what happens to them also - maybe we can cross our fingers that this will be the beginning of a series?

Amazon


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment