Monday, October 16, 2023

Review Round Up ~ October 16




New(er) Releases:


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Author

In Puck Yes, Ms Blakely returns us to the world of San Francisco hockey and the hunky players who have a thing for sharing. This book connects to previous stories but is a complete stand-alone.

We meet Hayes, Stefan, and Ivy in this fun, sexy adventure. All are interesting characters and I found myself enjoying and rooting for them. While their unusual relationship plays a big part in the story, there are also sweet moments and we see growth in them.

Puck Yes is a book you can take at face value, but goes deeper if you are willing to look a little bit. Definitely a winner on and off the ice.

Amazon   

Coming Soon:


My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

I've been a John Grisham fan for a long time, ever since reading The Firm. I admit to getting away from some of his more recent work but I was thrilled to have the chance to read "the sequel" to The Firm when it came up on Net Galley. Now that I've finished The Exchange, I am really confused. I've read the book and am really trying to understand the point.

We know going in that Mitch and Abby McDeere are at the center of The Exchange and are expecting an action-packed episode of intrigue similar to what happened in Memphis 15 years before. What is delivered is a bit disjointed and reads more like a travel diary than a legal thriller. Told from the third person point of view, there is a dispassionate element that makes it hard to connect to the characters. The sequence of events also leaves the reader a bit at a loss. There is a thriller/travel element that might play out well in a screenplay, but not on the written page. The amount of bouncing from place to place is distracting and a bit boring.

The biggest issue for me though - I reached the end of the book and really didn't know what had been accomplished or what the overall point of the story was. I understand the sequence of events and what was accomplished at the surface level, but what is the deeper meaning? What wrong was righted or what was contributed to the greater good?



 *Buy links belong to E-Reading After Midnight and we may be compensated if you choose to make a purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment