Monday, October 5, 2020

Review Round Up ~ October 5


New Releases:


Happily This Christmas: A NovelHappily This Christmas: A Novel by Susan Mallery

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Author

Revisiting Happily, Inc in Happily This Christmas was just what the doctor ordered. It was the book version of a warm blanket on a cold day.

Wynn is a character that has been present through out the series, but always just on the edge. It was nice to finally get to know her. Garrick is a new character and one that was fun to get to know. I enjoyed watching these two help each other navigate the bumpy road of parenting while developing a friendship and more.

The relationship between Garrick and Wynn shares billing with the relationship between Garrick and his adult daughter. It was sweet to see Joylyn’s evolution from a spoiled girl to a more mature young women getting ready to start her own family.

For loyal series readers, you will love getting to see old friends appear in key support roles. I would caution against staring the series with this book because the secondary cast is so fully woven into the story, there could be some confusion for readers who haven’t been in Happily, Inc from the beginning. 

Amazon  


 A Highlander is Coming to Town (Highland, Georgia, #3)A Highlander is Coming to Town by Laura Trentham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

Ms Trentham gives us a pre holiday treat with this third installment of the Highland, GA series. Featuring Holt, a secondary character in the first two books, and a Scottish lass trying to find her place in life.

This is an excellent story about finding a “landing place”, family being what you make of it, and making sure you look around sometimes to see what you are missing.

As main characters, I really liked both Holt and Claire. Their evolving friendship/romance was a sweet story blended into several subplots that helped move the whole town forward. The towns people of Highland, as well as the town itself were excellent secondary characters.

I was thrilled to come back to see how everyone is fairing and was pleased to see updates on previous main characters. I’m definitely looking forward to what Ms Trentham has coming next. 

Amazon




When You Kiss Me (Maine Sullivans, #3; The Sullivans, #21)When You Kiss Me by Bella Andre

3.33 Stars - Slight Better than Average

Review Copy Provided by Author

I have slightly mixed feelings about this addition to the long running Sullivan series.
We meet Lola (one of the Maine Sullivans) and Duncan when he takes one of her drawing classes. While I liked these two characters and appreciated their instant attraction, the "I love yous" in less than 24 hours seemed a bit too much. That "bit too much" seemed to be a recurring theme for me - I won't go into details because I don't want to spoil the story for anyone.

With any book by Ms Andre, I know going in that it's going to be a highly romantic story. I expect the quick evolution to the story, but I feel like something with the stories has changed. I found Lola and Duncan to be sweet and their conflict interesting. Secondary characters were used well and loyal readers will enjoy seeing familiar faces.

I'm not sure what the element that is missing in the most recent Sullivan books that I was there in the earlier books, but there is something that has changed for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment