Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Fall Back Skyward ~ Autumn Grey ~ NEW RELEASE and REVIEW


Eleven years ago, I saved her. I loved her. But they took me away from her and locked me up. For two years, all I could think about was her. She consumed me. Took up every room in my head and gave me something to focus on, knowing I would see her soon.

Nine years ago, I watched her as she walked down the aisle and into the arms of a man who wasn't me. My brother. I left my home and never looked back.

Now, I'm staring at seven letters, each envelope stamped with one word in bold, red ink: URGENT.

I have no choice but to go back home. Seeing her will be the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. But in order to reconcile with my past, I have to face my present. Even if the thought of seeing her, knowing that she is out of my reach, kills me. I have no idea what awaits me, but I can only hope that the demons of my past will finally be buried and put to rest.

**Due to possible triggering descriptions of self-harm, and some sexual situations this book is not recommended for anyone under the age of 17 years old**

Goodreads ~ Amazon


Elizabeth's Review


4 Stars - Would Recommend to a Friend


Review Copy Provided by Author



What if what you think you know isn't true?

Cole thinks the people closest to him betrayed him, so he left his family behind and hasn't seen or communicated with them in 9 years when he finally opens a letter and discovers that his brother is dying and that he's a father to 9 year old little girls.

In the story that follows, Ms. Grey crafts a heart rending story that bridges over 10 years to tell the story of Cole and Nor. We see them as teens who fall madly in love despite the animosity of her father and their own demons and we see them as adults who have to deal with the fallout of old choices.

As we spend time with teenage Cole and Nor, I was captivated by their story. While they had a relatively healthy relationship, they were surrounded by dysfunction. I found myself incredibly frustrated with both of their mothers. Nor's mother because of her inability or unwillingness to stand up and defend her daughters. With Cole's mother it was the implication that she would ask a 17 year old girl to sacrifice herself instead of facing problems head on.

Spending time with Nor and Cole as adults was interesting for me. Part of me was thrilled to see them be able to reconnect, but it also seemed like they slipped back into a friendship/relationship fairly easily given the 9 year separation and how it happened. I was also a little troubled by the question of what happened to Nor's father. He was so adamant about how things were to be then he just disappeared from the picture and we don't ever know why or what happens to him.

Overall, Fall Back Skyward is a well written, thought provoking book. It's definitely a standalone effort with no cliff hanger ending. I am curious to see what Ms. Grey has for us in the next installment of the Fall Back series.

No comments:

Post a Comment