Saturday, August 26, 2017

Books, Books, and more Books

New Release

You Say It First (Happily Inc, #1)You Say It First by Susan Mallery

3.75 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Author

Susan Mallery does it again!
You Say It First is a sweet start to a brand new series set in a brand new place, Happily Inc, CA. This is a spin off from the Fools Gold series, so there are some advantages if you have read that series, but it's okay if you haven't.
Nick is one of the Mitchell brothers (the tie in to Fools Gold) and a famous artist killing time with his brothers while he waits to hear about a big project. Pallas is a wedding planner who recently inherited her business from her friend/employer. I loved how these two met and eased into first a friendship and then a romantic relationship.
Yes, this is a romance, but as it's the first book in a new series, there is a lot of world building - and an extensive secondary cast to meet. Ms. Mallery does an excellent job of moving the story along and incorporating the "world" elements in such a way that the reader doesn't get bogged down.
Given that it's a Susan Mallery book, Nick and Pallas each have other relationship issues to work through in addition to the one they have with each other. The blending of these issues, how Nick and Pallas responded and supported each other pulled the threads of the story together and made them more real and relatable.
If you are looking to spend a lot of one on one time with the couple at the center of the story, then this might not be the right book. But, if you are interested in seeing two people grow emotionally and figure out where they need to be, then it's a definite winner.

Amazon

TBR Reads.....


These are books that have been hiding on my kindle for a while! I'm so glad I got to read them finally! 


 At Wolf Ranch (Montana Men, #1)At Wolf Ranch by Jennifer Ryan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would recommend to a friend

Oh wow! Where has this series been hiding in my kindle?
This is a great romantic suspense centered around a couple that is genuinely easy to like. The author does an excellent job of weaving the mystery and romance elements together.
Ella and Gabe are easy people to root for and hope they get the happy ending they deserve. The secondary cast is fairly small, but what we get to know them a little bit. I am definitely looking forward to getting to know Gabe's brothers.

Amazon

City BeautifulCity Beautiful by C.M. Foss

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would recommend to a friend

This is a book that has been lingering on my to be read list and after spending time with Ivy and Patrick, I am kicking myself for waiting to read their story.
Ivy and Patrick are well written characters that are easy to fall in love with and root for them the have a good ending. They are a case of fate taking life in hand and putting the right people in the right place at the right time.
I loved how the time spent with Ivy subtly changed Patrick's character over the several months that they were apart. These two were sweet together when they initially reconnected with each other, but the way Patrick handled a tragedy introduced into their lives really made me like him.
The emotions of the story came off the page and really pulled me into the story. This was my first book by C.M Foss and I hope it's not the last.

Free Reads...

These are books that I picked up for free. They weren't bad books, but not really my cup of tea. 

Bargaining with the Boss (Honeybrook Love, Inc., #2)Bargaining with the Boss by Allison Gatta
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was cute, but didn't really grab me and pull me into the story.
I just didn't relate to Natalie and Brooks as a couple. The "hate" element seemed forced and there were just too many other things going on to buy the "love" angle.



 AshAsh by Lexi Whitlow
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

2.5 stars - I came very close to not finishing this book, but everytime I almost stopped something would happen to just barely keep me going.
Summer and Ash were an interesting couple, but I struggled to relate to either of them. I also struggled with the story line and the back and forth of it.
This just wasn't a book for me....

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment