Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Raiding the TBR Pile

The Vixen and the Vet (A Modern Fairytale)The Vixen and the Vet by Katy Regnery

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Purchased Book

Oh my heart!
My book world friends have raved about Ms Regnery for a while now, so much so that when this book showed up on sale, I one clicked. It has lingered in the TBR since and I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner!
This is a twist on Beauty and the Beast. Savannah - an exiled reporter trying to rebuild her career in the role of Belle and Asher, an injured veteran in the role of Beast. There is even a kindly Ms. Potts!
Incredibly well written, the Vixen and The Vet pulled me in and wouldn't let go! (I read the book in one day) Both Savannah and Asher are very likeable characters and I loved them together and rooted for them as they worked to see where they belonged in each other's worlds.
The secondary cast is fantastic and plays a wonderful role in letting us know who Savannah and Asher really are. The emotions is the story are powerful and tug at the heart strings as you read - especially at the end when Asher finally figures everything out.
This is the type of story that leaves such a big impact, I almost don't want to pick anything else to read for a few days. I want to linger in their house on a hill with a cup of coffee, watching the sun set through stained glass windows.

Amazon

 His Virgin: A Bad Boy Billionaire RomanceHis Virgin: A Bad Boy Billionaire Romance by Nikki Chase

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Free at the time of purchase

This is a case of a decent book being stuck with poor title.
Caine and Daisy are both interesting characters. She is definitely the more sympathetic of the two, but as the story moved along I liked them both and eventually liked them together.
This effort has an intrigue element along with the romantic story. I actually felt like the intrigue story line was the more developed of the two and it would have been nice to see Caine and Daisy spend more time developing their romantic relationship.
While the title is accurate - it really doesn't describe the overall story.

Amazon


Big Bad ProfessorBig Bad Professor by Tia Siren

My rating: 1 of 5 stars

The title story here is NOT a book, at best it's a short story and took up less than 10% of the kindle file. The other 90% was "bonus" content or what I consider "racking up page count to get paid under Kindle Unlimited" - since I actually paid for the story, it feels like a rip off.
I paid 99 cents for 30 minutes of poorly written material.

By poorly written, I mean the following:
- A bad set up. The two main characters don't have enough interaction prior to anything to make a relationship be believable.
-Unrelatable characters. The female MC is made out to be a cheater and willing to prostitute herself for grades. The male lead is a drunk and a jerk.
-Sexy times are overly graphic and several descriptions are just gross.

I picked this up because the premise with it's forbidden element was intriguing. Had there been some build up or back story this could have been an entertaining read, but as it's written, it's not material I could encourage anyone else to pick up.

View all my reviews

1 comment: