Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Built to Last ~ Elisabeth Grace


At seventeen, the small town of Saltwater Springs had been everything to Scarlett Devereaux—as had her boyfriend Luke. Never had she imagined she’d have to leave them both behind—until the night that changed everything. A decade after skipping town Scarlett returns to start over in the only place that ever really felt like home. But when nothing goes as planned, she’s forced to turn to Luke for help. 

With a drunk for a dad and a mom making pocket change at the local diner, no one ever thought Luke Garrity would amount to anything. After building a successful contracting business he’s proven everyone wrong professionally, but things in his personal life are upside down. Making it the exact wrong time for Scarlett to return to Saltwater Springs. 

With a history of devastation and heartbreak between them can Scarlett and Luke make amends, or will secrets from the past threaten the foundation of Scarlett’s new life? Were Luke and Scarlett really built to last?


Elizabeth's Review

4 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

This is another book that has been sitting on my TBR for a while and now I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner.

10 years ago, Luke and Scarlett were in love and then one day 17 year old Scarlett just disappeared. Now, she's back and Luke is the only person who can help her get her new business ready to go. What follows is a sweet story of second chances and two people learning that fate is more powerful than a secret.

I just adore Luke! He's the boy from the wrong side of the tracks made good and he is so sweet to Scarlett once he gets past the shock of her being back. The only thing I didn't get is how he was able to let the discussion of why she just vanished go. Their new relationship was going full speed ahead and he seemed okay with just ignoring how she stomped on his heart the first time - that seemed a little too good to be true.

I wasn't sure about Scarlett at first (I mean she ran away from Luke!) But, as I got to know her and saw that leaving hurt her as much as it hurt him, I was able to like her and root for her. Once I learned why she left, my heart broke for both of them.

Built to last isn't a long book, just shy of 200 pages, but it's well written and packs a lot into those pages. Not only are Luke and Scarlett fun characters, the supporting cast is great too. There are some Southern stereotypes that appear, but it's done well and adds a dash of humor. Everything I read by Ms. Grace makes me want to keep going into her back list.

No comments:

Post a Comment