Saturday, January 6, 2018

Vacation Catch Up

E-Reading After Midnight was on vacation after December 21, 2017. Lots of reading got done! Some of those books were advanced copies and those reviews will appear as scheduled. Others were books that have been on my to-be-read list for a while and those reviews are here....


New Release


Now That You Mention ItNow That You Mention It by Kristan Higgins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy provided by publisher via Net Galley

Ms Higgins has done it again!
Nora is a mid 30s doctor when an accident shines a light on what she calls “the greyness” of her life and she decides to return to the small island town where she grew up.
The story that follows is one that I think a lot of people can relate to on one level or another. We see Nora deal with complicated family dynamics, hard memories and resentment stemming from high school (both hers and towards her), more recent traumas, and the ending of her recent romantic relationship.
This well written story shows us that even achieving success as an adult doesn’t erase hurts during our formative years if they aren’t dealt with. Nora’s return to Scudder Island forces her to complete the emotional journey that was paused when she left the island for college and avoided coming back.
In Higgin’s typical style, there are humorous and awkward moments mixed in with the heavier emotions. Nora’s growth and the positive changes she brings to those around her made this a heart warming tale perfect for anyone.

Amazon

TBR list Review


 A Stone in the Sea (Bleeding Stars, #1)A Stone in the Sea by A.L. Jackson

3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

I’m a bit late to reading Shea and Sebastian’s story and have actually already read part of the series that happen later.
Ms. Jackson writes a riveting tale of two people discovering themselves with each other and deciding what type of life they want.
Baz and Shea don’t have an easy journey to come together and they haven’t weathered everything yet. I am looking forward to seeing more of their story in the next installment.

Amazon


Co-WreckerCo-Wrecker by Meghan Quinn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Ms Quinn is a newer to me author and I didn’t know what I was missing!
Co-wrecker is YA -dealing with early 20 something college students. There is typical YA drama and angst....
What makes this stand out is the humor, especially when we are seeing things from Andrew’s (the hero) point of view. Sadie (our heroine) has her funny moments too, but she is dealing with a lot more emotional trauma/growth.
This was an enjoyable, fun, semi emotional read that has me wanting to read more from this author.

Amazon


Kiss Me Kate (The English Brothers, #6, Blueberry Lane, #6)Kiss Me Kate by Katy Regnery

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Ms Regnery has done it again! She's written a touching story that makes you want to curl up and keep reading!
Kate and Etienne met at 15, had a whirlwind romance, and then were separated for 12 years before business brings them back together. One of the things I loved about this second chance romance was how Kate seemed to blossom once Ten came back into her life.
When we first meet Kate in this book, she is successful, but seems to put herself in the shadows. As she and Etienne learn more about each other as adults, she comes into her own and becomes a strong female character that is easy to cheer on.
I was a little worried going into this book as it's at the tale end of the English Brothers series and I haven't read the other books, but it wasn't an issue at all. This is truly a standalone effort, but be forewarned that this does contain spoilers to the other books. The Brothers are key secondary character's in Kate's story.
Ms. Regnery was a new author to me in 2017 and after this, I am even more determined to read more of her work.

Amazon


Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)Mr. Perfect by J.A. Huss

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

This is an author/book that I've heard a lot about, but haven't read until now. To be honest, I enjoyed the book, but I'm not ready to jump on the band wagon.
For starters, I had mixed feeling about both the main characters - Ellie and Mac. They both had moments where their personalities just weren't consistent. One minute Ellie is living a fantasy life with one guy - one who her friends know is just stringing her along - and the next she's in a quasi relationship with another.
I also didn't 100% buy the "love" story between Mac and Ellie. Their physical chemistry was off the charts and I even understood why things imploded after 2 weeks, but the fact that would be strong enough to withstand a separation and be instantly rekindled just didn't jive for me.
And maybe I'm thinking about it too much....
If you are looking for a fun, entertaining, sexy book then this definitely worth the time to read.

Amazon


  View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment