Saturday, February 10, 2018

Review Catch Up

ARC READS


Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)Reed by Sawyer Bennett

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy provided by Publisher via Net Galley

You would think after so many books that the Cold Fury series would start to get “old” and go a little stale, but Ms. Bennet has mastered the art of keeping the series fresh. It helps that the series is written in multiple sets featuring groups of interconnected characters, so the true supporting cast that needs to be kept track of is fairly small compared to the whole Cold Fury hockey team.
Reed is the first book in a new set within the series and a character that we haven’t seen or heard too much about before now. We meet him not long into his summer break - where he’s determined to have fun when fate knocks on his door in the form of his neighbor Josie.
Reed and Josie’s story is definitely on the lighter/sweeter side as we watch them go from friends to lovers. It was fun watching Reed grow up and start to see the value in a relationship, even when he didn’t really know it was happening. I also appreciated that while Ms. Bennett set up a classic conflict, she took it in a slightly different direction that was true to the characters and honestly made me like them even more.
There is some set up for the next book, but it’s done seamlessly and in such a way that the reader doesn’t feel like they are leaving Reed and Josie’s story to get there.
Overall, this was a great addition to a fun series and I am looking forward to the next installment.

Amazon


 Should've Been You (Man Enough, #3)Should've Been You by Nicole McLaughlin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

This is a sweet novella about misunderstandings and getting a second chance with your high school crush.
Hannah and Becca are fraternal twins who apparently have communication issues. As young girls they meet their neighbor Jase. Becca has a crush, but Hannah “claims” him as her friend and sets almost 20 years of misunderstandings between Becca and Jase in motion.
Even though this is a short book, it’s easy to feel for Becca and Jase as they navigate learning the truth about each other and deciding what to do about their feelings. It was harder to like Hannah - she came across as pretty immature and manipulative.
This is obviously part of a series, there are members of the secondary cast whose stories seem to have been told elsewhere. That doesn’t make this any less enjoyable as it stands on its own.

Amazon



Here Comes the Sun (Butler, Vermont, #3)Here Comes the Sun by Marie Force

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Reads

Review Copy Provided by Author

Sometimes you read a book by an author you love and the book just doesn't do it for you and for me that is Here Comes the Sun.
As I have read the Green Mountain/Butler series, Wade and Mia's side story was one that I struggled with, so I'm not 100 % surprised that their book was one that I didn't totally connect with. The reason I struggled - Wade had this intense connection/friendship with someone that involved sneaky around and he was never clear about why the sneaking was necessary. The implied endorsement/encouragement of possible infidelity doesn't sit well for me or with what I expect of Ms. Force's work.
As for the issues I had with the actual book - everything seemed to go one step too far. Mia appears on Wade's doorstep after a year of radio silence - of course he wants to help her, but the solution is extreme. This pattern happens a couple of other times. Then there is Wade's doormat attitude. Several times he has (reasonable) doubts about Mia, but he lets his romantic infatuation make him blind as soon as they are together again.
On top of that, we have the almost semi random insertions of story lines relating to Wade's siblings. While they are naturally a key part of the secondary cast, when you reach book 6 of a series, it is a bit overwhelming to have scenes dedicated to each prior main couple.
I know my opinion isn't a popular one, but this book and I just didn't click.

Amazon

TBR READS


Shacking UpShacking Up by Helena Hunting

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

This has been lingering on my TBR list for a while and I am regretting not reading it sooner.
Ruby and Banecroft are like minded, interesting characters that are fun to watch. I appreciated that they stumbled onto each other and a natural affinity led to improving their situations.
Funny with great characters, this was a read I didn’t want to put down. This was my first Helena Hunting read, but it won’t be my last.

Amazon


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment