Monday, June 29, 2015

Meet the Author - Isabelle Richards

Today we are chatting with one of my favorite new authors of 2015, Isabelle Richards.
Welcome Isabelle!
Published Work:
When Fates Collide Series (When Fates Collide, When Fate Isn’t Enough, When Fates Align Hate To Love You, Love To Hate You (I should really come up with a series title for these two!)
What are you working on now?
At this very moment, I’m working on two manuscripts. I’m rewriting the end of Love to Hate You and I’m also reworking the beginning of a book that is currently untitled that will release in December. And I’m writing bonus chapters to go in the Fates Box set
Do you get to write full time or do you also have a "day" job?
I work as an advocate for persons with disabilities.
Favorite part of being an author?
There are so many things! Meeting people I would never otherwise have had the privilege to meet. I LOVE hearing what people think as they are reading my books. But I think the very best part is hearing from readers that my book helped them in some way. I write romance, so I never expected my books would change anyone’s life or anything. But so many people have told me that they dove into my book during a particularly challenging time in their life and it gave them respite from all the troubles in their life. For a few hours, they could escape it all and that little bit of downtime gave them the strength to keep going. Hearing that meant the world to me.
Scariest part of being an author?
The scariest part for me is the fear I won’t break even. Publishing is very expensive. I know people think self-publishing must be cheap, but to do it right can be costly. My family has invested a lot in me and had to sacrifice so that I can explore this dream. I would be devastated if I can’t at least break even. Not so much because of the financial impact, but I’d feel like I let them down.
Who are your favorites to read?
OMG Too many to list!! When I get the chance to read, I devour books and I read all genres. I read everything I can get my hands on in contemporary romance. I’m a huge paranormal reader, and suspense/thrillers, legal dramas, non-fiction.
If you had $1 Million to giveaway, what would you do with the money?
I would divvy the money up in a few ways. I’d give part of it to local organizations that work with families with special needs. The people that are on the front lines every day trying to make the lives better for persons with disabilities and their care givers. A portion of those funds would go to parent education. I’d also create a scholarship fund to help teachers get their masters in special education. And finally, I’d give a portion of the funds toward a work force development initiative that would teach employers about hiring and working with persons with disabilities. So many employers are afraid to hire a person with a disability simply out of fear of not being able to communicate and manage him or her. With more education those fears can be eliminated.
One Piece of advise to an aspiring writer:
Write every day. Even if you think its crap. The only way you’ll get better is by working on your craft. Someone may be inherently a good writer, but that’s just the starting point. Just like with any other skill, if you challenge yourself, push yourself, and nurture those innate abilities, you have no idea how far you can go. Find an editor your trust and listen to him/her. The editor’s job is to make your work better. To help sand down the rough edges and pullout the beauty that lies beneath. A good editor won’t try to change the work, only help make the work better. The editing process can be emotional, but if you check your ego at the door and focus on bringing the work to higher level, your story and characters will really come to life. And since I’m on my soap box, one last thing, all feedback is good feedback. Even the worst review could be the most helpful because you can see areas you can work on. Don’t let it get you down, let it boost you up and push you to make your next story better.
Where to order Isabelle's books:
When Fates Collide
When Fates Isn't Enough
When Fates Align
Hate to Love You - PREORDER - RELEASES September 9, 2015

Where to find Isabelle:
https://instagram.com/isabellerichards8/
•Twitter: @88IsabelleR
https://www.facebook.com/IsabelleRichardsAuthor
•Mailing list link :http://eepurl.com/bcfzP1

No comments:

Post a Comment