Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Reviews from the TBR

I've had a group read and have gone diving into my TBR recently. Here are some quick reviews of books I've read recently

The Bird and the SwordThe Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5 stars
This is a book I picked up for a group read, so I honestly went in knowing next to nothing. The two things I did know 1) it was paranormal and 2) it was recommend by an author I trust.
When I started reading, I only intended to read the first couple of chapters. What I found was a well written, intriguing story that pulled me in and made me want to stay curled up with it all day.
Lark's story is that of a young girl who is swept from the world she knows and thrust into something that is unfamiliar and frightening but the experience allows her to blossom and gain a strength she didn't expect.
Love, friendship, and tolerance are key elements to the story, but the true focus is Lark and her growing independence.
I found the majority of the characters fascinating and enjoyable and have to admit I was more than a little excited when I realized a sequel is coming soon.

Amazon



BossmanBossman by Vi Keeland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This started out as a very light hearted read and while it continued to have a lighter feel, it was also a fairly emotional read.
I appreciated how the author acknowledged how guilt and grief can impact people without dwelling on the issues and creating more angst than necessary for the story.

Amazon



 Him (Him #1)Him by Sarina Bowen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I read my first m/m book, it felt very "taboo" and I wasn't sure I could like/understand it.
The more m/m books I read, the more I understand that they are really just relationship stories like most romance novels, the cast is just different.
Him is a well written friends-to-lovers story focusing on two early 20's hockey players as they reconnect after several years of not speaking.
The issues that Wes and Jamie dealt with are real and are realistically portrayed. I enjoyed them together and am looking forward to reading more of their story.

Amazon

 Us (Him #2)Us by Sarina Bowen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

All relationships have stress, add in the stress of keeping the relationship a secret and you have a recipe for trouble.
That's the story of Us. Wes and Jamie fought to be together in Him and now they are figuring out what that looks like.
Well written and a great display of two young people growing and building a relationship together.

Amazon


Step BeastStep Beast by Selena Kitt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This ended up being an interesting story, but I almost didn't read far enough to find out.
While I ended up liking and respecting Tilly, she's a character that I found incredibly annoying and spoiled for the first 1/3 of the book.
Tilly wasn't the only character I had a hard time with and it was very tempting to give up early on. I'm glad I didn't, because we ended up with complex characters that I wanted to cheer for.

Amazon

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment