Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Netgalley New Releases

Today we have reviews for THREE new releases! Enjoy!


The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo (Victorian Rebels, #6)The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo by Kerrigan Byrne

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Netgalley

3.5 stars for an entertaining historical read.
Byrne is a new author for me and this was a good introduction to her work. I found myself really liking Lorelei and Ash/Rook. I enjoyed their initial time together when they were young and hoped with them that the fragile bond could grow until they were mature enough to explore it.
I also enjoyed their more adult encounters and how her affections were able to peel back the layers of time and hardship to find the man underneath.
This was a well written story that balances intrigue with passion in a clever setting. This is part of a series, but I did not feel lost for having not read the other books first. My interest in the author and series has been sparked and I am looking forward to reading the other books.

Amazon


Cowboy, Cross My HeartCowboy, Cross My Heart by Donna Grant


3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Netgalley

I enjoyed this book, but also struggled with it at times.
From a character standpoint, I truly liked the cast. Naomi and Brice were both entertaining and the secondary cast was excellent.
For the story - I appreciated the instant attraction between Naomi and Brice and how potential intrigue brought them together. Where I struggled; the scope on the intrigue story line just seemed too vast to believable.
Well written, this follows the Harper/East families we’ve been introduced to previously. It look me to about the halfway point to realize I had read the first book, so this is definitely a stand alone effort. Hopefully we will see Caleb’s story soon.

Amazon


Maybe for You (Whiskey and Weddings, #3)Maybe for You by Nicole McLaughlin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Netgalley


This was a book I wanted to read after really enjoying the first 2 Whiskey and Wedding books and while this one was good, it didn’t have the oomph of the previous stories for me.
Alex and Jake are characters that we have met previously, but the author does a good job of capturing their back story here so the reader doesn’t feel lost.
I loved that this was a friends to lovers story and the slow build up, but my struggle was with how Alex was portrayed after she and Jake became involved.
I felt like she went from a woman regaining her footing after tragedy to a whiny little girl. I understand that the emotional upheaval is part of her character journey, but it really sent mixed messages for me and made it hard to embrace her as fully as I would have liked.
There is also a moment at the end of the book that I feel exploited Alex’s phobias to add tension that wasn’t really needed.
This was a decent conclusion to the series. It is a stand-alone work, but the backstory and involved secondary cast make reading the books in order worth the effort.

Amazon


 View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment