Friday, August 24, 2018

Review Catch Up

ARC READS


 Catching Irish (The Summerhaven Trio #4)Catching Irish by Katy Regnery

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a friend

Review Copy was Provided by Author

This is a fun novella to wrap up the Summerhaven series.
Finian and Tate are characters that we have met in the primary trilogy. Given that this is a novella, we don't get to know them very well, but we definitely have some fun with them!
I think one of the things I enjoyed most about Catching Irish is that even though the story is short, Ms Regnery has the emotional connection between Fin and Tate radiating off the page. I liked both characters and should this series ever be revisited, I would love to see more of them.

Amazon


Good Time Cowboy (Gold Valley, #3)Good Time Cowboy by Maisey Yates

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

Ms Yates brings us back to Gold Valley to spend time with the Dodge family - this time with oldest brother, Wyatt.
I liked Wyatt and Lindy and enjoyed watching them poke and prod at each other before finally giving in to their mutual attraction. They are both interesting characters with more in common than they initially appear to have. Unfortunately, as much as I liked both characters, I had a little bit of a hard time connecting to them.
Good Time Cowboy was an entertaining read, but the emotional epiphanies seemed a little forced, especially Lindy's. Both Lindy and Wyatt had road blocks to deal with, it just seemed that they danced a little too much before things magically happened.
This is not my first Gold Valley book, but I think I missed the second book in the series. This is what I would consider a heavily interconnected standalone with numerous references to things that have happened previously and setting up future books. It's not necessary to have read the previous books to read Good Time Cowboy, but by having missed a book in the series, I had a nagging sense of "what am I missing here" as I witnessed interactions with secondary characters. I am curious both to go back and see what I have missed as well as what may be coming next.

Amazon

 TBR READS


  Drowning to Breathe (Bleeding Stars, #2)Drowning to Breathe by A.L. Jackson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would recommend Duet to a friend

Copy was received as a gift

This is the conclusion to a Stone in the Sea - given that, don’t try to read this book without reading the first book!
We pick up Shea and Baz’s story right were we left off and Ms Jackson takes us on a wild ride to a happy ending. I enjoyed getting to see how things worked out for Shea and Baz and really appreciated that a lot of the drama in this installment is external to their relationship.
The secondary cast takes a bit of a bigger role here and in some ways that made this a harder book for me to review - because I’ve read this series out of order. Some of the secondary characters behave a bit differently here than I expect mainly because I originally met them when they were more developed.
A Stone in the Sea and Drowning to Breathe are a duet worth reading!

Amazon



Stuck-Up SuitStuck-Up Suit by Vi Keeland

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Keeland and Ward have done it again by creating a truly fun story.
Graham and Soraya are a great example of opposites attract and fate stepping in to bring people together. These are entertaining characters that pull you in and make it impossible to put their story down.
Surprises and baggage impact their story, but the way they dealt with those issues just added to my affection for both of them. Great secondary characters and a fun cameo round out an entertaining read that just makes me want to read more by this duet.

Amazon

FREE READS


  The Professor's Heart (Her Perfect Man Contemporary Romance)The Professor's Heart by T.R. Bertrand

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Co-written books face a unique challenge in making sure that the “voice” of the book is cohesive. This book missed that mark just a little bit. There were a couple of places where it was obvious that the author switched as minor details changed from one chapter to another (she was wearing a robe at the end of one chapter, but he removed her pants in the beginning of the next.)
This is an entertaining read, but really just barely skims the surface of every idea presented. We know the facts, but don’t really get to know the whys behind it. I was definitely left with lots of questions about Derek. There were also numerous tidbits about Naomi that didn’t make sense.
I enjoyed the book, but if you are looking for an angsty, slightly taboo read, this isn’t it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment