Thursday, December 19, 2019

Review Round - Up ~ December 19

New Releases


Meg and JoMeg and Jo by Virginia Kantra

3.5 stars - Worth A Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

Meg and Jo took a little bit for me to get into, but once I did, I found myself enjoying and relating to the sisters.

Ms Kantra does and excellent job of letting us see into the lives of both the oldest March sisters as they work to support their Mother through a health crisis and find their happy.

I appreciated the hard look at marriage, motherhood, and evolving dreams that we saw from different points of view. Struggles, the need for communication, and a good support network come through very clearly.

This well written story may start slowly, but it picks up and pulls the reader in. The overall feeling of the book is one of warmth and family.

Amazon

From The TBR Pile

The Resistance (Hard to Resist, #1)The Resistance by S.L. Scott

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Purchased

S L Scott is an author I discovered several years ago and have consistently enjoyed. One recent series, featuring the Crow brothers, also had secondary characters from a band called the Resistance. I decided to finally dive in and meet the people behind the secondary characters.

The Resistance focuses on front man Jack Dalton/Johnny Outlaw and entrepreneur, Holli. I liked both characters and enjoyed getting to know them. Two things I especially appreciated about the story were 1) how these two met, the idea that Dalton/Johnny knew from the beginning why Holli was there and 2) the way Holli stood her ground and fought for what she needed when push came to shove.

One place I struggled a little bit comes from the fact that while this story is well written and emotional, it also highlighted for me just how much Ms Scott has honed her writing craft of the last several years. Holli and Dalton/Johnny didn’t have the full range of character development that I have come to expect from reading some of the more recent works. The best way to describe it would be like flipping through pictures of high school seniors and finding a freshman in the mix.

Having said that - I am still thrilled to have met these character and started in the journey with them. I will be diving into the second book of the series soon.

Amazon


The Reckoning (Hard to Resist, #2)The Reckoning by S.L. Scott

3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

I ended up having a bit of a love/hate relationship with The Reckoning. This book picks up right where we left Holli and Dalton/Outlaw in The Resistance and begin to see what happens after the Happily Ever After.

What I loved - getting to see what happens after a fairly whirlwind romance between two strong willed people.

What I struggled with - The drama, oh the drama..... There were multiple times that I wanted to take both characters and crack their heads together because they were both being so stubborn!

As much as I struggled with the drama level, because it flirted with my "over the top meter" I also appreciated the fact that this was probably a pretty accurate representation of what happens when one (or both) people in a relationship have a high profile. The situations also played into the fact that while these two characters loved each other, they didn't necessarily know each other very well before thrusting the most important of relationships into the meat grinder of celebrity.

As a reader, I wish I had spaced out reading The Resistance and The Reckoning. They are companion books, but I think I might have enjoyed The Reckoning a bit more if the emotional ride of The Resistance had time to settle a bit more. I am definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Amazon



 Bait: Alpha Billionaire Romance Boxed SetBait: Alpha Billionaire Romance Boxed Set by Colleen Charles

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Free Read

I really don’t know where to start here. This collection/trilogy was kind of like an accident on the highway, I knew I needed to give up and move on, but I had to see if it could get worse.

There is almost no character development and the plot consists of one extreme event after another with very little connecting the events. Charlie and Nolan both end up looking like fools who can’t figure out which way is up.

I picked the set up from the blurb- it sounded like an interesting enemies to lovers/fake romance story. I think more effort went into crafting the blurb than writing some parts of the book. There are a few redeeming sections, but they are strung together with so much nonsensical filler that they get lost. Add it plot inconsistencies and it was hard to enjoy this book.

The sad part is, the story has potential. A little rearranging and a good copy editor could take this from disorganized train wreck to entertaining.

Amazon

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment