Friday, May 13, 2022

Review Round Up ~ May 13




New(er) Releases:

My Wife Is MissingMy Wife Is Missing by D.J. Palmer

4.25 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher

This entry by Palmer is definitely a solid suspense read.
We meet the Hart family on the day every thing changes and journey with them as the tale unravels.

My Wife is Missing is a plot driven story, so the character development more or less skims the surface (it works here) and with the set up of the story there is always a question element. Did we really see what we thought we saw….

Told in dual point of view, getting to see inside both Michael and Natalie as the story unfolds adds to the complexity. Mr Palmer also uses flashbacks and memories very well so that the why’s start to make more sense as the real time action takes place.

I was kept guessing as this story happened. Each time I thought I knew something is was wrong (at least partially). The thing that kept this from being a 5 star read for me was the secondary character, Kennet, his back story and involvement just never fully gelled for me. He’s a great vehicle for the story, but he was also a bit of a thorn in my paw.

Overall, this is a unique read that would keep a reader engrossed and entertained.

Amazon



TBR Reads:   


Fearless: A Thrilling, Enemies-to-Lovers RomanceFearless: A Thrilling, Enemies-to-Lovers Romance by Tia Louise

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Purchased

Tia Louise is a go to author for me and from teasers, etc I had seen, I was very curious about Fearless. The fact that I love a good bodyguard/forced proximity story didn’t hurt the odds of me grabbing this story either!

Unfortunately, Fearless didn’t get off to a good start for me. Why you ask - the ages of the characters. I know this sounds like a silly thing to be bothered by, but it’s a detail that kept pulling me from the story. The other issue - I had a hard time relating to and connecting with Blake, our female lead.

Setting aside the age issue, I enjoyed the connection between Blake & Hutch. They had an interesting dynamic and I enjoyed seeing their relationship evolve from antagonistic to something else. Fearless is fast paced and in between romance, suspense, and secondary stories there are times when the balance is a bit off. It works well, but I definitely left wondering where we were going.

While this is a stand alone read, I feel like we need Hana’s story (the upcoming release Filthy) to really get the full picture of what is happing with the van Hamilton sisters.

Amazon   


Protecting You (Bailey Brothers, #1)Protecting You by Claire Kingsley

3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Purchased

OOPS..... I did a random "grab a book from the TBR" and didn't pay attention that I was grabbing a series prequel. Does that impact how much I enjoyed the book? Well, a little bit because darn it - I want to know what happens next!

In Protecting You, we meet the Bailey siblings and their neighbor Grace. We get bits of all the Bailey brothers, but the focus is on the oldest Asher. While entertaining, this read really is set up for future books and covers Asher's youth and then jumps to his young adult hood with Grace. We see their friendship blossom into something more and then we see everything fall apart.

I enjoyed this book, but I really do wish I had paid more attention to what I was doing when I picked this up so that I could go right into the second book that dives into the second chance story of Asher and Grace.

Amazon


View all my reviews



*Buy links belong to E-Reading After Midnight and we may be compensated if you choose to make a purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment