Friday, June 7, 2024

Review Round Up ~ June 7




New(er) Releases:


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

This is an author whose historical works I’ve enjoyed in the past, so when the opportunity to read about an event I don’t know much about came along via net galley - I couldn’t resist.
As with previous works, I appreciated the dedicated research that went into presenting the material in a thoughtful manner from both sides of the equation. The glimpses into the heads of crucial figures shed light into just how close we came to the brink of extinction.
The author makes difficult subject matter approachable and relatable by also including the thoughts and feelings of everyday people in addition to world leaders.
Books like this - where I can learn as well as enjoy a good story make me realize how much I miss reading historical fiction when I have been away from it for a while.

Amazon



My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher

The Nurse Behind the Gates is not an easy book to read, but it is an important book to read.

One of the things I have always struggled with as I have learned and studied history is how did people living around the concentration camps not "know" anything about what was going on in their backyards. Ms Ryan gives us a glimpse into what growing up in Munich in the 1930's would be like for a group of friends both Jewish and not.

Emilie, Danner, Otto and the others navigate the changing landscape. We get to see the emotional and real-life impact on all of them and their decisions. I appreciated how relatable the characters were even when they had to do things they didn't agree with.

Reading The Nurse Behind the Gates gave a good sense of the deception and stress that permeated WWII era Germany. I won't go as far as saying that it changed the prejudice I have for the perpetrators of the crimes committed, but it does give me a better appreciation for the average citizens.

Amazon



My rating: 5 of 5 stars - One of  Best

Review Copy Provided by Author

In To Catch a Kiwi, Rosalind James brings us back to New Zealand with new characters (Roman and Summer - and Delilah) who are tangentially connected to previous characters we’ve known and loved.

I have to say that this was a book I think I needed. Summer comes to New Zealand with a cargo plane worth of baggage and literally crashes into Roman’s life. Little need he know that he really needed her and cousin Delilah as much as they needed him.
Ms James takes us journey with this trio. There is unpacking of baggage, secrets revealed, crisis dealt with, more secrets, emotional support, and love. The grace that is given and missteps made reflect the humanity of the characters and lessons that many of us need to remember.

As always, Ms James has a unique style that pulls the reader in and has you invested in the characters and their growth.

Amazon



View all my reviews




 *Buy links belong to E-Reading After Midnight and we may be compensated if you choose to make a purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment