Friday, August 23, 2024

Review Round Up ~ August 23




New Releases


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

This is the second installment following the ladies of King & Co, this time focusing on Ellie.
She meets her match in Harry, the reformed thief.

This is a fun, fairly light-hearted adventure where the ladies (and Harry) solve several cases - the most important being who Harry really is!

The characters here are engaging and likable. There is an excellent mix of intrigue and romance that made the story move quickly. The supporting cast is excellent, but not overwhelming in anyway.

While this is the second in a series, it is a complete stand-alone breadcrumbs. Ellie’s story is independent of Tess’, but there are bread crumbs to encourage readers who missed the first book to go back. I am looking forward to seeing how Daisy’s story plays out.

Amazon   


View all my reviews

TBR Reads


My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Review Copy Provided

This story had so much potential, the original premise was interesting, but that was squandered by having too much going on.

We meet Grace and Jagger when they are 20 on what could easily be the worse night of anyone’s life. Tragedy and an overbearing father push the high school sweethearts apart. We see them again at 28 when Jagger leaves the military/private contracting and comes looking for Grace.

The author could have had a solid story by diving into who these characters are, how they’ve changed, and having them resolve the issues that drove them apart. Instead, we get a very surface character development and fairly quick romantic reconciliation followed by multiple traumatic events.

As much as I liked both Jagger and Grace, I found myself bored with the book. Even though they are near 30, they still handle relationship conflict as if they are still in high school. Add in the lack of character development and repetitive nature of the events, I struggled a little to stay invested.



My rating: 2 of 5 stars 

Review Copy Provided

I’m so confused. I went into this book fairly blind and came out so confused.
There are 4 main characters, several key secondary characters. 3 distinct romantic relationships, possibly two more. There are elements of grief, love after loss, the afterlife, past lives, and paranormal encounters.
This book had potential to be interesting, but it was presented in a confounding manner that made it had to follow. The POV jumped for one character to the next frequently leaving events unexplained. Bread crumbs were dropped along the way to the grand reveal at the end. This helped explain so of the issues, but not everything. There were numerous loose strings at the end of the story. Add in some editing issues and I can’t even call this one average.
 
 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Review Copy Provided

Another book with lots of potential in terms of story that fell flat for me.
I found Katie Rose and her journey interesting, but I felt like reading out her was like reading a bullet point list.
-this bad thing happens
- she is upset
-something turns it around
-she’s happy
Rinse and repeat.
There are other characters and we potentially see events from their POV and it adds to the story, but they are equally flat.
Add in some things that just aren’t believable and it made for a hard book to be invested in.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Free Read

This is a book? That’s a serious question, I’m not even sure this is novella length. Maybe a short story.
I picked this up for free and would honestly feel a little ripped off if I had paid for it.

There are hints of plot and hints of character development but just hints. I would have loved to have gotten to know Lia and Aarick better.

View all my reviews






 *Buy links belong to E-Reading After Midnight and we may be compensated if you choose to make a purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment