Friday, April 13, 2018

Review Round Up

It's that time again - I'm catching up on reading again. 

ARC Reads

  Love and Other WordsLove and Other Words by Christina Lauren

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

This is a book I finished and just had to sit and “be” with while I tried to figure out how I felt about it.
This is an author team that I haven’t read a lot of and this is advertised as a departure from their norm. If that’s the case, then we need to see more like Love And Other Words.
The timeline flips between past and present for Macy and Elliot and while it causes a bit of a slow start to the story, it really works in this case. The fact that the two timelines mirror each other in a sense pulls things together and adds needed tension to the story line.
Macy and Elliot are both characters that are easy to like, even if some of Macy’s motivations don’t seem clear until late in the story. I found myself rooting for them to get things figured out and hoping that whatever kept them apart could be repaired.
While this is, at its core, a love story, there are also a lot of other significant emotional moments. Macy’s story is heavy and I think that is part of what makes her reconnection with Elliot so important.
It’s hard to say much else without running into spoiler territory. If you are looking for light hearted fun, keep moving. But, if you are looking for an emotional read with a sense of hope - stop, and get comfortable. My favorite word: promise.

Amazon


TBR Reads


 Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)Lost and Found Sisters by Jill Shalvis

3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

This is a book that has been lingering on my TBR for a while, my only regret is that it took me as long as it did to read it.
In Lost and Found Sisters, Shalvis introduces us to a new series set in a small, coastal California town. The town and it's quirky inhabitants are strong supporting characters for the story being told. The focus is on Quinn who is coasting through life until a small town lawyer turns her life upside down with the news she is adopted and has a teenage sister.
Quinn centers in two story lines. One focusing on the relationship with her newly discovered sister, Teeny, and the efforts to build a relationship with her. The second, on her budding relationship with hot guy, Mick, she meets on her first day in town.
Quinn, Teeny, and Mick are all incredibly easy characters to like and relate to. The story is written with Shalvis' trademark sense of humor and is incredibly touching from an emotional standpoint. Long time fans should be prepared that the heat level between Quinn and Mick is significantly lower than what they may be expecting. This is very much a relationship story and the focus is more emotional than the physical.
Well written and entertaining, this is a series introduction that has me looking for more.

Amazon


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment