Monday, September 25, 2023

Review Round Up ~ September 25




New(er) Releases:

What Became of MagicWhat Became of Magic by Paige Crutcher

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

Ms Crutcher is a new (to me) author and I picked this book up off of Net galley to review based on the description alone. I was curious about the premise.

What Became of Magic was not what I expected based on the description. The story of Aline Weir, her life, and what happens when she arrives in Matchstick was interesting, but I have to be honest and say that the second half of the story lost me a bit.

Based on the first half of the story (and the blurb) I thought this book was headed one way. But it took a hard left. While I enjoyed the book, I struggled a bit with what message the author was sharing in how events unraveled.

The characters here are interesting and there is an intrigue element that creates excellent tension. The core secondary cast is full of unique characters. They help move the story along and add some to the confusion. I’m curious if having read previous books by the author would have helped in better understanding this book

Amazon  



My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

I picked this up off of Net Galley because it sounded interesting. After a very slow start (I almost tagged it as DNF) things picked up and it got better.

Cordelia and Eustace are estranged sisters with a ton of individual baggage when they get the call to return to the family ancestral home they didn’t know existed - and that’s just the beginning of the oddities that occur.

From a plot perspective, I would give this 3.5 stars. The mystery of the Bone family estate is woven into the story for the sisters to discover. The reader is figuring things out alongside the characters and there are twists and turns that keep you on your toes.

For characters, this is a 3 star read. It’s not that I didn’t like characters, but I never felt like I understood them enough to become invested who they were as people.

The last 40% of this book is what saved the story. The author gave the Bone family a very complicated back story, but then made it difficult for the sisters to figure it out. I get that some of that was on purpose, but it made it hard to become interested in who the latter family was and what would happen next. Add in significant events that don’t seem to be fully resolved and this is a very average book for me.

Amazon


View all my reviews


 *Buy links belong to E-Reading After Midnight and we may be compensated if you choose to make a purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment