Thursday, January 14, 2016

Love Hurts ~ Mandi Beck ~ Review


Even when she won’t fight for us, I’ll go to war for her…
Inside the Octagon, I have no fear. I’m at home, in my element, inflicting pain onto men trained to hurt me just as badly. Making them submit, knocking them out, maiming them, because it’s them or me. And I choose them.

Outside the Octagon, my only weakness is a five-foot-two, classy as f*ck woman that I’ve loved for most of my life. She’s the one that brings me to my knees, fills my arms, my heart, and one day soon, my bed. She makes me reckless. Volatile. I drink too much and try too hard to f*ck my way out of feeling—all because of her. Frankie De Rosa is my girl, my best friend. I haven’t earned her yet, but I won’t stand by and let anyone take her from me. She will be the greatest fight of my life, but she’s worth the battle. Love hurts, but anything worth having does, right?
I’m Deacon “The Hitman” Love — Welcome to the Cage.


Goodreads ~ Amazon 


Elizabeth's Review

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Great debut novel!
I loved the family dynamic of the Loves and the dynamic between Deacon and Frankie early in the story, but was a little frustrated by it later on.

Deacon is an absolutely awesome character. He's so "out there" personality wise that you can't help but fall a little bit in love with him. I struggled a little more with Frankie. I didn't really understand why she let the garbage from Deacon's past impact her the way she did. The yo yo situation she created with Deacon was frustrating for me. I wanted to reach in and shake her before she pushed Deacon so far away she couldn't get him back.

I can't say all the blame lies with Frankie though, there were times when I didn't really understand Deacon's behavior either. He seemed so committed to Frankie, and routinely "claimed" her and warned other people off, but he didn't make the effort to insure that everyone around them knew they were a couple and that he was in it for the long haul.

As frustrating as both Deacon and Frankie were at times, I rooted for them and hope they find away to work everything out. Ms. Beck did a fantastic job of creating a world for the Loves and their Princess- I can't wait to see what happens in Love Burns!

No comments:

Post a Comment