Thursday, September 6, 2018

Review Catch Up

It's that time again - I'm catching up on two new release and one read from the TBR pile. Enjoy!

ARC READS


 One Perfect Kiss (Hope, #8)One Perfect Kiss by Jaci Burton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via NetGalley

I went into One Perfect Kiss with high hopes because I have really enjoy Jaci Burton's work in the past. While this was a decent book, it didn't really live up to what I expect when I read something from her.
Josie and Zach are both recent transplants to Hope, both are teachers, and both have some emotional baggage. I liked both characters, I really liked them together, but a lot of their interactions felt forces and stilted.
I do have to confess that I have missed a lot of the Hope books, so a good chunk of the secondary cast was new to me and the time spent of following their story lines made the overall narrative drag a little bit as well.
This is a standalone work. From the timelines discussed, I'm guessing that Zach and Josie have appeared in prior Hope books, so if you have been following the series then you will probably be glad to see what happens for them. As a reader who has not read the series religiously, I would have preferred to have a little less time spent on the large secondary cast and would have hoped to see a little more chemistry between the primary romantic couple.

Amazon

When We KissWhen We Kiss by Tia Louise

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

This is a well written and entertaining story of a girl whose not a bad as she thinks she is a man not as straight laced as he appears to be.
Tabby and Chad are a fun couple to get to know and I genuinely enjoyed their adventures together. One of the things I liked about this story was that it was simply a boy meets girl romance. Yes, there was drama, but it was the kind you would expect of two people who have lived a life to get where they are. There was nothing over the top, just the normal fears of moving too fast towards a destination you weren’t sure of.
Add in an excellent secondary cast and we have the beginnings of what I think will be an excellent series.

Amazon

TBR READS


Unwell (The Unwell Series #1)Unwell by Robin Laine

3.25 Stars - Better than Average Read

Copy Purchased

Unwell is a debut novel that is loosely based on the author’s own health challenges.
I found Unwell to be fairly well written and I liked the characters. I appreciated that Azley fought to protect her son and was cautious with her heart. Evan was a good hero and I liked how he fought for their relationship.
Where I struggled a little bit was with connecting to the characters. As much as I liked them, I didn’t feel like i knew them enough to really form an emotional attachment.
I liked Unwell enough that I am curious to see what Ms Laine come up with next.

Amazon


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment