Friday, April 17, 2020

Review RoundUp ~ April 17


New Releases:


The New HusbandThe New Husband by D.J. Palmer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

DJ Palmer is a new author to me and this is a book I picked up because the story sounded unique and like something I hadn’t read before. The New Husband took a little bit for me to get into, but once I did, I had a hard time putting it down.

Our protagonist, Nina, is someone easy to relate to. It was easy to put myself in her shoes as a mother trying to move on from a traumatizing event. It was even easy to see how she could dismiss things creating a less than healthy environment.

The author does an excellent job of building the intrigue level and creating tension. I was on the edge of my seat during the climax of the story to see what would happen next. While this is my first read of Palmer’s, I will definitely be back for more.

Amazon


TBR Reads:


Hot Nights Winter LightsHot Nights Winter Lights by Christa Wick

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Purchased for Free

This was a fun, quick insta-lust turned love read.
Laney and Gary are both interesting and likeable characters whom I enjoyed getting to know.

I have read some of Ms Wick’s work in the past, so gladly picked this one up when I saw it was free. Give. The length of the book, I’d be reluctant to pay too much for it, but it was just what I needed in my Covid 19 quarantine funk.

Amazon


 In the Zone (Portland Storm, #5)In the Zone by Catherine Gayle

3.5 stars- Worth a Reader's Time

Purchased for Free

This is a book that has been on my TBR for a while and I plopped myself in the the series mid stream to meet Keith (Burnzie) Burns and Brie.

To say that these two each have issues would be an understatement. For Brie, it’s body image related to a health issue and jerk ex boyfriend. For Keith it’s grief and a fractured family relationship. Seeing them come together, heal and grow was sweet and refreshing.


In the Zone is a stand alone book, but it very much part of a larger series and there were times that I felt a little bogged down with the large secondary cast. There are lots of references to couple who were obviously prior main couples which would be great for someone who has read the series in order, but was slightly confusing for me.

Overall, this was a good read, but I do wish I had started the series from the beginning.

Amazon


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment