Friday, March 22, 2019

Lust in Translation: A Harbour Point SEAL Novel by Rachel Robinson ~ New Release and Review


Beginning a new career as a linguist at Harbour Point SEAL base is a fresh start. It’s a way to bury my loss.
The grief.
The façade my shot-gun marriage has become. It is the only bright spot in an otherwise dim existence. I don’t expect to rekindle a friendship with a wildly cocky, always humorous, and sometimes demanding Navy SEAL. I’m supposed to teach him foreign languages. The job is supposed to give me purpose.
Quickly my friend ensnares me with more than just his wit and bad pronunciation.
He traps me with salvation.
Lust has a pulse—a memory. It strips inhibitions and dilutes the world around us. Love? That comes and goes. Lust is the only language capable of healing. It’s his language. I will speak it to save him. To save myself.
It’s the only choice.
*A standalone novel*

Amazon

Elizabeth's Review


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Review Copy Provided by Author


I'm struggling a little bit here because this is a book that I really wanted to like. The premise floated in the blurb - the idea that someone has experienced a tragedy and could find purpose and pull themselves back up via hard work and friendship appealed to me.

That story is here to a certain extent as we follow Kendall's journey, but for me that message got muddled into other pieces of the story. I liked Lust in Translation, but I didn't love it. The book is well written and there isn't one thing I can point my finger on, but for some reason this is a book that I just didn't connect with.

The thing that I come closest too is that I felt a bit confused reading. On one had, we are presented with the idea that Kendall is grieving and trying to decided what direction her life is supposed to go in. On the other, we have her friendship with Leo and the potential for drama. I guess I wanted Kendall to be a stronger character and take charge a bit, but instead she seemed willing to float through and let others push her one way or the other.

Ms Robinson is an author I haven't read much of and after reading Lust in Translation, I am curious about her back list. While this book and I didn't have a super strong connection, there were pieces that I liked and I want to see if I might connect to a different story more strongly.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment