Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Review Catch Up

Coming Soon


Highland Crown (Royal Highlander, #1)Highland Crown by May McGoldrick

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

The duo behind May McGoldrick is a new to me author and I was excited to try to a new historical romance. Highland Crown is the beginning of a new saga; meaning while this book has closure the story is far from complete.
I enjoyed the story here, especially the strong heroine in Isabella. The authors also did an good job of balancing the world building for the series/saga and the romantic story between Isabella and Cinaed. I found both to be realistic and believable.
My complaint - and the thing that kept this from being a 4 start read - was the curve balls at the end. One of them (and you have to read to find out) fit the story fairly well based on character descriptions and behaviors by secondary characters earlier in the book. The second seemed like an afterthought relating to Isabella's family. The two young ladies had been nothing but mentions and then they suddenly were influencing character behavior.
I enjoyed Highland Crown and and curious to see where the series goes next.

Amazon

New Releases


March 13, 2019


Your Love Is Mine (Maine Sullivans, #1; The Sullivans, #19)Your Love Is Mine by Bella Andre

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Review Copy Provided by Author

I still enjoy the Sullivan series by Bella Andre (even though we are on the 4th? group of siblings in the extended family), but I do have to admit that some of the excitement of the series is starting to fade for me.
Cassie and Flynn are entertaining characters, but what we see of them is fairly superficial. They have a strong connection from the very beginning, and it was sweet to see them get to know each other. I also enjoyed getting to meet some of Cassie's extended family.
My complaint - if you can call it that - is that this series seems to be getting a bit formulaic. There is no true conflict around Flynn and Cassie's relationship, even though there are plenty of options to choose from - and options that would not have changed the ending, but I think would have been more authentic to the human experience.
My other issue was the character of Ruby, Flynn's 6 month old niece/adopted daughter. As I went through the story, I struggled with Ruby being given abilities and personality traits most 6 month olds just don't have. In the grand scheme, it's probably a small thing, but it pull me from the story. I am curious about Cassie's siblings and what might be in store for them, but I would love it if Ms Andre would return to the more dynamic style of book represented by the early Sullivan stories.

Amazon

March 26, 2019



The Trouble with CowboysThe Trouble with Cowboys by Victoria James

3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

The prodigal son returns in The Trouble with Cowboys. Tyler comes home after 8 years in response to his father’s stroke and begins an uphill battle.
I enjoyed getting to know Tyler and felt bad for him as he returned to his home town and faced the reality of what happened while he was gone. I struggled a little bit with the amount of animosity he received from the town and how that situation was resolved. The animosity Tyler received seemed disproportionate with things revealed later.
Lainey is the owner of the town diner and Tyler’s polar opposite. She’s the type of person that everyone would want as a friend. I found myself a bit frustrated with Lainey and the yo-yo behavior she had in terms of wanting/not wanting to be around Tyler. It made sense as her baggage was unpacked, but it seemed like she was shooting herself in the foot a bit.
I liked these two together. I understood the give and take between them and the emotional struggle Tyler had given some of the baggage he’s carrying. That said - I didn’t understand Tyler’s behavior when he created the drama that would eventually create the conflict resolution and happy ending. It felt like a manufactured conflict.
Overall, this was a good book and I am curious to see what might happen to Tyler’s friends. From the breadcrumbs dropped, I am expecting Dean and Hope's story to be next and I am looking forward to see them resolve their issues.

Amazon


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment