Thursday, May 16, 2019

Review Round Up - May 16


New Releases


The UnhoneymoonersThe Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

The duet behind Christina Lauren is one that I haven't read a lot, but every time I do I walk away saying "why don't I read more of these ladies" and The Unhoneymooners is no exception. Told from Olive's point of view, we get to see how the "unlucky" twin gets to take the trip of a lifetime with her nemesis and her luck apparently begins to change.

I enjoyed getting to know Olive and Ethan and seeing their dynamic change once they were spending consistent time together. One of the things I appreciated most was seeing how Olive's perception of herself changed through out the course of the story. She had to challenge herself to think about the idea of self fulfilling prophecies and what messages she was internalizing about herself - and as a result projecting out to the world.


As much as this is an "enemies to lovers" romance, it is also a journey of self discovery for Olive. It is refreshing to see a heroine who isn't perfect, but she is perfect for the right person. Olive embraces/acknowledges her flaws and also the fact that she maybe wasn't living her best life.
Ethan was a strong leading man, I would have enjoyed seeing more of the story from his point of view. The secondary cast was entertaining a had a perfect level of involvement to be interesting, but not over powering. There are several secondary characters that I am curious about and would love to see more of down the road.



May 9, 2019 Releases


The AdventureThe Adventure by Leslie Pike

3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Author

3.5 Stars for a super quick, fun read.

Fig and Zarah were friends in high school and happen to run into each other while traveling. I loved watching their interactions and Ms Pike made their connection tangible.
My only complaint is that I wanted to see more of their story!

Amazon

April 30, 2019 Release


Getting Hot with the Scot (Sometimes in Love, #1)

Getting Hot with the Scot by Melonie Johnson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

What a fun debut novel!
With an entertaining meet cute, interesting main characters, strong (but not overwhelming) secondary cast, and a realistic conflict Getting Hot with a Scot pulled me in and wouldn’t let go.

Cassie and Logan were main characters that were easy to like and root for as they met in unique circumstances and later attempted to forge a real relationship. The bumps they ran into were realistic given how they met and they fact that they were still getting to know each other when things happened.

The secondary cast was entertaining and added layers to the story as they helped Logan and Cassie figure things out. As this is the first book in a series, Ms Johnson did an excellent job of weaving the secondary characters into the story in such a way that the reader can begin to relate to them without letting the world building take over Cassie and Logan’s story.
I enjoyed Getting Hot with the Scot and am hoping to see more from Ms Johnson, I am hopping Bonnie has a story coming soon.

Amazon


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment