Thursday, May 21, 2020

Review Round Up ~ May 21


New Releases:


Xander (Royal Protectors #2)Xander by Kat Mizera

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Gifted by Author

Ms Mizera is a newish author to me- I’ve read a few of hockey centered stories, but this was my first read of hers in the royalty/romantic suspense genre.

I enjoyed getting to know Xander and Elen, both are interesting characters with a lot on their plates. This is the second book in a series - that seems to be connected to another series (I’m not sure there) so there is a lot going on, especially in regards to the secondary cast.

There were times when I felt like the budding relationship between Xander and Elen was getting a little lost in the world building/character introductions that were necessary for us to know who all of the players in the story were. These were characters I found myself intrigued by and really want to know more about who they were and their journey.

This is a book where I feel like I might have done myself a disservice by not reading the first book of the series or the related material first. I think it would have made some of the whose who and interconnectedness/reference make more sense. I am definitely curious about books related to this one, so I will have to check them out.

Amazon


The Somerset Girls: A NovelThe Somerset Girls: A Novel by Lori Foster

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

Somerset Girls is a sweet take on two sisters discovering that second chances do exist.

I found myself liking and relating to Autumn right away, but it took a little bit for Ember to grow on me. Mike, Tash, and Sadie are key players that I found myself enjoying right along with the Somerset sisters.

This is a well written, easy read that also touches on important topics. We see self esteem and self image issues addressed in a gentle manner. The big one for me - and our characters as well - was the idea that we live up or down to the expectations set for us. This was something both Autumn and Ember struggled with and I loved what happened when they started to stray away from those ingrained ideas.

Definitely more of a “relationship” book vs what I would consider a traditional romance, Somerset Girls is something that is a great read. I found myself relating to it on multiple levels.

Amazon



KORU Contest Reads:

Worth the Wait (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn #4)Worth the Wait by Annie Seaton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

This is a book that I was assigned as a contest judge, but after reading the blurb it's a book I probably would have picked up on my own anyway.

After reading Worth the Wait, I found myself wanting more. Jaclyn and Ryan are both interesting characters, but I felt like I didn't get to know them very well. There are several different elements to the story. There is the by chance re-connection, there is an element of suspense, a family conflict, not to mention Jaclyn trying to make her way in a new community. With this being a short read, all of the elements are addressed at a very high level. I found myself wishing that the author had either made the book longer to dive deeper or trimmed some of the various elements to focus more on one or two.

This is part of a series, but works as a stand alone. After reading, I am curious about the previous books and getting to know the town of Bindarra Creek better.

Amazon

TBR Reads:


A Secret for a Secret (All In, #3)A Secret for a Secret by Helena Hunting

My rating: 4 of 5 stars- Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Purchased

I enjoyed the first two books in this series so much that when A Secret for a Secret came out I couldn't let it linger on my To be read list for very long and I am so glad I didn't.

Our leading hockey playing man this time is Ryan "King" Kingston and his story begins when he discovers that his very hot and uncharacteristic one night stand is none other than his boss's daughter/assistant, Queenie.

I loved these two together from the very beginning, even when they were trying so hard to just be friends. Both King and Queenie are unique characters that have a fair bit of baggage in between them, he is a bit more well adjusted, but that just makes him an even better fit for her.

Ms Hunting does a fantastic job of weaving Queenie's emotional growth and maturing in with a blossoming relationship. Combine that with the great secondary cast and this was a book I didn't want to put down. A Secret for a Secret ties in strongly with the other All In books, but it very much stands on it's own. There are a few inside joke type events that are better appreciated for having read all three books, but it is not necessary. I really hope there is a book for Jake (Queenie's Dad) in the near future.

Amazon




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment