Saturday, October 7, 2017

Catching up....

Kids going back to school got me a little behind earlier this month and I am finally getting caught up!


Breakaway (Pilots Hockey, #5)Breakaway by Sophia Henry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley

I've had a bit of love/dislike relationship with the Pilots Hockey Series. After a very strong start, there were a couple of books I was less than thrilled with, but Breakaway returns to the series roots with a strong showing.
Luke is a character that we've seen off and on through the previous books, but haven't gotten to know well. At the beginning of Breakaway, we see him get injured on the ice and struggle with what comes next in his career.
We get to know him along with his love interest, Bree, as the story moves along. I enjoyed both characters and liked both of them together as they seemed to bring out the best in each other. After an unconventional start, these two seemed to come together again and again to create a slow burn of a relationship. While Hockey plays a big role in this story, it really is a stand alone book as the characters met previously make brief cameos and aren't critical to the story.
Breakaway is a book that makes me glad that I didn't give up on Ms. Henry as an author and I am looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next.

Amazon


Royal Pain (His Royal Hotness, #1)Royal Pain by Tracy Wolff

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Review Copy provided by publisher via Net Galley

If you are looking for pure escapism and steamy sexy time, then this book would fit the bill.
Unfortunately, when I went diving into Royal Pain I was hoping for a little bit more.
To be brutally honest, Ms Wolff teases us with Kian. He's a unique character. He's a playboy prince, the "spare," but really so much more. When I say she teases the reader with him, I mean she gives us glimpses of the more behind the persona and even allows it to shine at times. But, she has paired him with an underdeveloped heroine.
Savvy starts out incredibly interesting, but fizzles into being "that girl" who waits for scraps of attention and then is grateful to get them.
I found myself entertained right up until the end. It really felt like things that had been built up weren't addressed by the abrupt conclusion to the story. There was a feeling that the author either ran out of time or choose to keep something back for the sequel.
Royal Pain isn't a bad book, but I don't feel like it lived up to its potential, so just an average read for me.

Amazon


 Playing With Forever (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #4)Playing With Forever by Amy Andrews


2.5 stars - Below Average Read

Review Copy Provided by Author (technical difficulties delayed review)

This is a case of a really cute premise that falls a little short in execution.
Playing with Forever is heavy on the sexy time and crass language, but light on the relationship building. Ryder and Juliet are interesting characters, but I didn't feel like I got to know either of them very well. Juliet is also a character that is a little bit difficult to connect with. She has an understandable fear/concern, but is unreasonable in how she handles those issues with Ryder.
I haven't read much by this author, so I don't know if the issues here are typical of her style or if it's just this book. This may also be a case of this just not being a book for me - I would have liked to see more relationship building for the story to really work, but it might be just right for other readers.

Amazon



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment