Tuesday, October 17, 2017

ST. MARTIN’S PRESS HOLIDAY ROMANCE RELEASES



Deck the Halls by Donna Alward




With shades of It’s a Wonderful Life, one man must face his past to find his future this Christmas.

 In the last year, George's life has drastically changed. The formerly homeless veteran now has a job he likes, a family in the residents of Darling, VT, and for the first time in years, a home. But while his present is good, he's still haunted by the past, a past that appears shortly before Christmas when the older sister of his brother-in-arms hunts him down and finds him in Darling, working at the Ladybug Garden Center.

 Amy’s looking for closure for her family after her brother's death in the Middle East, but the serious man she finds working in Vermont doesn’t resemble the soldier she remembers from years before. This man is hardened and yet somehow fragile, too, and in her desire to find out what really happened to her brother, she learns more about George than she ever expected.

 With a little Christmas magic and the whole town supporting them, can these two bruised hearts make a future together?

Amazon


Elizabeth's Review


3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time


Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley


The is a sweet edition to the Darling, VT series. George is a character that we’ve gotten to know a little bit through all of the books, but haven’t really known well.
The novella format was perfect to introduce him more and learn about his past. Amy was a good addition and seemed to be a good fit.
I appreciated the fact that the author introduced a potential love interest for George, but didn’t force a full fledge relationship without addressing his health issues.
We also saw little bits of previously enjoyed characters and got to catch up with them. I am looking forward to the next full length Darling book!

Author Q&A


Donna Alward
When do the holidays official start for you?
December 1 - or the weekend just preceding it. That's when we get out the decorations and go crazy.
What's your favorite thing about the holidays?
THE MOVIES. I love sitting with my kids (who are of the nearly-adult variety) and watching holiday movies with a glass of wine or hot cocoa.
Are there any holiday traditions you do every year without fail?
Tons! There are certain things we bake. We have a whole bunch of Christmas Eve traditions, including a barbecue (steak!), putting presents under the tree, going for a drive to see the lights, and watching The Polar Express. And even at their age, they still ask me to read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.
What's your favorite holiday movie?
I have too many - my fave depends on my mood. Top contenders: Christmas Vacation, Christmas with the Kranks, White Christmas, Love Actually, The Polar Express.
Do you have a favorite holiday book?
Hmmm. I don't tend to re-read holiday themed books, but I'll confess that I have a soft spot for any (all) of the Christmas books in the Chesapeake Shores series. Those O'Briens... :)
What's your all-time favorite holiday song?
Nat King Cole's version of The Christmas Song. Simplicity and nostalgia all rolled into one smooth voice.
What's your favorite activity during fall or winter?
Cozy nights with a glass of wine and a book. LOL! Seriously though, I miss living near the Rockies, because the skiing there spoiled me for anywhere else.
What's your favorite gift you've ever received or given?
One year my sister put together a recipe book with our mom's fave recipes over the years. She added some of her own, too, but if I want something that Mom used to make back in the eighties? It's in that book!
Do you have any items on your wish list this year?
Yes! Yoga socks, books, and a kindle.
Any resolutions or goals for next year?
Do better. :)


A Season of You by Emma Douglas



It's Christmastime in the quaint island town of Cloud Bay, where love is always in season... Will Fraser has believed in love at first sight since the day he first laid eyes on Mina Harper five years ago. There was only one problem: She was happily married. Then, when Mina's husband was killed by a drunk driver, Will figured she'd want nothing to do with a guy who owns a whiskey distillery. So he's kept his feelings locked away, knowing that not even a Christmas miracle would be enough to melt Mina's heart. . . Mina believes her days of true love are behind her. Since losing her husband she's kept to herself, content to do her own painting and stay out of the limelight that comes with her famous family. But when, after a freak accident, Will comes to her rescue, Mina can't quite get him out of her mind. As curiosity turns into a fling during Cloud Bay's first Christmas Festival, she finds it harder to convince herself that her feelings for Will are just mistletoe-inspired. Could Mina be ready to lay the past to rest and finally admit that what she really wants for Christmas--and forever--is Will?



Elizabeth's Review


3.5 Stars - Worth a Reader's Time


Review Copy Provided by Publisher via Net Galley


The second in the Cloud Bay series following the Harper siblings, I found this book to be a little bit stronger than the first.
I think part of it is that as the second book, we didn’t have the world building present in book 1. Mina and Will are also characters that we met in the first book, so it was easy to pick up with them again here.
The more I got to know Mina, the more I liked her and understood where she was coming from. Will was strong character that was equally easy to like. They also worked as a couple - pushing each other to face some of their bigger issues.
A strong secondary cast played key roles in the story as well. I honestly think this would work well as a stand-alone, even though it’s the second in the series.
This book redeemed the Cloud Bay series for me and has me looking forward to Zach’s book.

Author Q&A


Emma Douglas
When do the holidays official start for you?
After my mom's birthday which is early December!
What's your favorite thing about the holidays?
Getting together with my family and friends and just having a good time with the people I love.
Are there any holiday traditions you do every year without fail?
Making the plum pudding with my mum and watching Carols by Candlelight which is broadcast on TV here in Oz on Christmas Eve.
What's your favorite holiday movie?
Die Hard
Do you have a favorite holiday book?
The Father Christmas Letters by J.R.R Tolkien. Gorgeous illustrations and funny! They're letters he wrote to his kids (as Father Christmas) each year, telling the stories of what had been happening at the North Pole that year.
What's your all-time favorite holiday song?
O Holy Night because I love the melody.
What's your favorite activity during fall or winter?
I do Christmas in summer here in Oz so that makes it swimming or otherwise avoiding the heat. But in winter I have a weird liking for walking in the cold, as long as I can thaw out with a good book afterward.
What's your favorite gift you've ever received or given?
Both my current cats I gave myself for Christmas but that probably doesn't count. I got a membership to the local zoo which was fun as I like to wander around there. Other than that, like a true bookworm, every year I love getting books.
Do you have any items on your wish list this year?
Nothing big but I'm sure I'll come up with a list of books and art supplies that would be great to get.
Any resolutions or goals for next year?
Both to write more and to have more time for non-writing things. Maybe I need a clone for Christmas?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment