Thursday, January 9, 2020

Review Round Up ~ January 9


TBR Reads:


Playboy PilotPlayboy Pilot by Penelope Ward

3.5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

Copy Received for Free

The duo behind Playboy Pilot is one I’ve enjoyed in the past, so I was looking forward to seeing what they came up with here.

Carter and Kendall are characters that each have unique backgrounds and stories. I have to confess to liking Carter a little bit more - I found him to be the more relatable of the two for the majority of the story.

The set up and meet cute for Playboy Pilot is one I haven’t seen before and it was fun to see their adventures unfold as they got to know each other better.

I appreciate seeing the emotional growth Carter showed as he dealt with his past and tried to find where his future would lead. I would have liked to have seen a little more of that from Kendall.

I am looking forward to seeing the works that will be coming soon in the Playboy Pilot world as well as what this author duo comes up with next.

Amazon (KU)


 Bound (Fire on Ice, #1)Bound by Brenda Rothert

My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Copy purchased for Free

This is an older book of Ms Rothert’s that has been on my TBR for a while. Several book friends have mentioned this lately, so I decide to give it a shot.

If you are looking for a hockey book (which Ms Rothert does exceptionally well) then this isn’t really what you are looking for because while Ryke is a hockey player, that is a small part of the overall story.

Ryke and Kate meet in the most unexpected of places and both carry baggage that should make them leery of new relationships. I appreciated seeing the way they dealt with each other, the empathy that they displayed and the grace with which they handled road blocks. Both Ryke and Kate are likeable characters and I found myself rooting for them to be successful.

The overall message of this book is one of strength and hope. There are some hard moments, both Kate and Ryke have experienced things that they shouldn’t have had to deal with in their early to mid 20’s, but it’s really a case of them finding the right person the befriend/grow with. Knowing that this is part of a series, I am curious to read the other books.

Amazon (Currently Free on Kindle)



Sir Loin of Beef (Grade-A Beefcakes #1)Sir Loin of Beef by Vanessa Vale

My rating: 3 of 5 stars - Average Read

Free Read

Okay - I knew what I was getting into here (and if you’ve read this author before, you know what I mean), so I can’t say I was surprised.

This is a quick read and definitely leans toward the graphic with a touch of corny in terms of how the characters chose to describe certain things/events.

This is light on plot development and pretty light on character development, so not something to read if you are looking for an in-depth story.

I picked this up because it was free. While this is not a “bad” book, I won’t be seeking the series out.

Amazon (Currently Free on Kindle)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment