Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Review Round Up ~ April 5




New(er) Releases:


My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Worth a Reader's Time

I received this book as an Amazon Prime First Reads and I'm so glad I picked it up. Historical fiction is a genre that I have always enjoyed and finding a well written book on a subject that I haven't heard much about was a bonus.

Ms Harmon does an excellent job of bringing Deborah to the page and making her emotional struggles as a young woman in a country on the cusp of nationhood real. While this is a fictional work based on a real person, I came away feeling like I had learned a bit more regarding the birth of our country. My desire to research and learn more has been sparked!

Amazon   



My rating: 4 of 5 stars - Would Recommend to a Friend

Review Copy Provided by Author

Lauren Blakely is an author that I have enjoyed in the past, but have missed reading in recent years. When the opportunity came to read The Tryst as a review copy, I couldn't resist!

The Tryst follows Layla (pen named Lola) as she meets older man, Nick, at a professional conference. Their 15 year age difference doesn't seem like an obstacle when they contemplate a short term connection. But, fate has different plans for these two and reconnects them in ways that could turn both their worlds upside down. What happens next - well, you have to read the book for that.

Ms Blakely did a fantastic job of blending a sexy story with an emotional evocative tale that made me really root for both of these characters to find happy endings. Layla is young in years, but is emotionally mature and that helps make the age difference seem like a non issue. Other forbidden aspects pop up to challenge these two and I appreciated that these were handled gracefully. There is a fairly large secondary cast. These can sometimes be unrulely, but here it works well. There is enough interaction with the secondary cast to shed more light on who Layla and Nick are and to move the story forward without being over powering.

The Tryst is book 2 in a series, but I was able to read it very well as a stand alone. I am curious to see future stories featuring the friends and family that we met here!


Amazon



View all my reviews





 *Buy links belong to E-Reading After Midnight and we may be compensated if you choose to make a purchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment